Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Memorable Scenes: Boogie or Brokeback?

So today's question ...what are your ten favorite movie scenes in film history?
No rules ........

Molly's List  (It's too hard to list the 10 "best" or even my all time favorite so I guess it's more a list of 10 Movie Scenes Near and Dear to My Heart): 
  • Jake Ryan, standing outside his red Porshe, waiting for Molly Ringwald as she looks behind her after leaving the church at the end of Sixteen Candles. "Yeah, you." Sigh. It's hard to overstate the significance of Jake Ryan on impressionable 10 year old girls' minds.  
  • I'm a sucker for this movie and while I can admit the dialog here is a little over-written, I will nominate the scene with Willy and Andira, sitting in the ice house, in Beautiful Girls. "Can you think of anything more romantic than making love to an attractive stranger?" "Going back to Chicago, Ice cold martinis. Van Morrison." Note: I'm submitting the ice house scene, but it's hard for me not to include Good Night Sweet Girl.
  • I have to include the scene in Almost Famous where everyone starts singing Tiny Dancer. It's the best scene EVER of friends making up: no words, but just through singing that song they all get past being angry at Russell and he gets over feeling embarassed and the tension disappears and the bus keeps driving and no apologies are necessary.
  • I'm having a hard time narrowing down the scenes in this movie, but I have to include the karaoke scene from Lost in Translation. I'd have to write a 12 page essay on all the reasons why I love Lost in Translations and all the subtle and sad little moments that grabbed me, but I think the karaoke scene sums up the sadness and sweetness of Bob and Charlotte pretty well. But there are a million tiny moments that deserve mention (the Sauntory commercial, their fight, Bob telling Charlotte about having kids, the very end, Bob talking to his wife on the phone, Charlotte asking him, "Did I scowl at you?")
  • "...And then do you know what happens? Six years later you find yourself signing Surrey with a Fringe on Top IN FRONT OF IRA!"
  • It's hard for me to single out any one scene from Silence of the Lambs because the whole movie is SO FUCKING GOOD but I'm going to go with the end, when Buffalo Bill shuts out the lights in the basement and Clarice knows he's there, hunting her, and he's just watching her with the night vision goggles and she's all wide-eyed and alert and I can hardly breath when that scene comes on and part of the reason I love it so might be because I've read the book so often that I hear the narrative in my head when I watch it and I know how she hears the almost silent click of his gun and reacts to it and then her ears are ringing and right before he dies he says, "tell me what it's like...to be...beautful" and THAT IS SOME INTENSE AND CREEPY SHIT RIGHT THERE.
  • I'm not generally a sucker for the emotional tearjerker type movies but Terms of Endearment is a really good movie with some really funny bits but there is one scene that KILLS ME and makes my heart hurt whenever I watch it: Debra Winger is in the hospital and her two little sons (sweet sweet Teddy and Tommy) come to visit her and say goodbye to their dying mom and they are scared and nervous and she puts on makeup before they walk in to try and cover up her pallor and they walk in and stand there so scared and uncomfortable and she reaches out to the older one who has a shaggy bowl cut and she says, You need a haircut. And when they leave she says to sweet sweet Teddy, "I was so scared. But I think it went pretty well, don't you?" AND THEN I DIE INSIDE.
  • Ferris Bueller in the parade, Twist & Shout. Pure joy.
  • The opening to Woody Allen's Manhattan: 3 minutes of voice over with Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue playing while we see black and white shots of NYC culminating in fireworks over Central Park. Also in that movie: Isaac's reasons for living.
  • Okay, bear with me on this one: Brokeback Mountain packs a wallop from start to finish but two scenes stand out for me, and they are tied together so I am having a hard time separating the two. First, Ennis (Heath Ledger) goes to visit Jack's (Jake Gyllenhaal) parents after he learns of his death (Jack's wife told Ennis it was a car accident; he was actually beaten to death because he was gay) and walks into this stark, spare little prairie house in the middle of NOWHERE (in Wyoming) and meets Jack's parents who are these very grave, serious, devout but ultimately kind people, and before he leaves they ask if he'd like to see Jack's room which turns out to be this spartan space upstairs and he sits there and looks around and then opens the closet and finds his old plaid shirt with dried blood on it (which is from the first summer he and Jack met, 20 years prior; the blood is from a fight they got into) hanging on a hanger with one of Jack's shirts (jack's shirt is on the outside) and he grabs the shirts and breathes in their scent. He takes the shirt and asks Jack's parents if he can have it (Ennis, by the way, can barely speak. Throughout the entire movie he speaks in this very forced mumble; he's so closed off and afraid of who he is that he is physically unable to communicate). Then, in the last scene of the movie, his daughter comes to visit him in this sad little trailer where he's living and tells him that she is engaged, and asks if he can come to the wedding. He mumbles about how it's a busy time for him (rancher, has to drive the sheep) but before she goes, he asks her if her fiance loves her (which might be the only time the word 'love' comes out of his mouth in the entire movie; it took him a lifetime to realize that love is important). After she goes, he stands looking out the back of his sad little trailer and we can see that he has the two shirts he took from Jack's house hanging on a peg with an old postcard from Brokeback Mountain (where he met Jack). Only now, his shirt is wrapped around Jack's. And he stands there and just says, "I swear, Jack..." Brokeback Mountain was probably one of the most powerful movies I have ever seen. Ever. It's basically perfect.
 (There are MANY ommissions. The birthday pool party in Rushmore. Anything from Broadcast News or All the President's Men. WHY'D YOU MAKE ME PLAY SECOND BASE in Parenthood, You know how I know you're gay? in 40 Year Old Virgin, Catherine Zeta Jones in Chicago. Mia Wallace dancing in Pulp Fuction. All of Forrest Gump. Many ommissions.)
 
Don's  List (A nearly impossible exercise ...but here is my list, in no particular order):

  • Boogie Nights: Dirk, John C Reiley and their knucklehead friend go to Alfred Molino’s house and try to rob him of his drugs and money. Many have tried, but no scene in history has ever done drug paranoia like that. Moreover, no one has ever done “bottoming out” better.
  • No Country for Old Men: Coin Flipping scene. This scene literally sucked the air out of the theatre. Literally. I mean, there wasn’t enough air left. No really, I actually was chocking.
  • I have to have a war scene on my list ….and the competition comes down to the beautifully-staged and adrenaline-packed Helicopter attack scene in Apocolypse, the Opening to SPRyan and the Steve Mcqueen motorcycle chase scene from The Great Escape. I will focus this selection on SPR but just the scene where The Company is on the boat and headed to shore. The uneasiness and weight of the moment on that boat is palpable. I don't need the whole opening 20 minutes. Those two minutes on the landing craft are plenty.
  • Final Timeout in Hoosiers ……Gene Hackman maps out a play that is poorly received and then Jimmy chimes in and confidently calls for the ball: ”I can make it coach!!" The most inspiring moment of any sports film and that includes both Kurt Russell's pre-game speech in Miracle and then his pre-third period speech. If you can outdo Coach Herb Brooks screaming: "You can beat these guys!" than you know you know you have watched something special.
  • Rocky getting in shape in Rocky I …..maybe the best original score ever in the background as Rocky runs through the streets of Philadelphia. If this scene didn't (doesn't) get you off the couch, perhaps you deserve a sedentary life that ends with diabetes.
  • I love a good vengeful jury verdict ……..and my favorite was probably from The Verdict, where Paul Newman is able to get enormous damages off the Church in a malpractice suit. I am a total sucker for these scenes and I always enjoy seeing The Church get burned.
  • There are so many great scenes from Raising Arizona and it’s hard to pass over the Opening, which lasts for 20 minutes, but I am picking the scene where Nicholas Cage and Tex Cobb square off in a custody battle over the baby. Chris Kuhner and I spent three weeks in college saying nothing to each other than the lines from this scene. We used to watch reruns of this movie, in different rooms, with the doors open and end up dying when this scene came on.
  • Dance scene in Little Miss Sunshine. I can’t imagine laughing harder or feeling better after watching a movie scene.
  • Bad News Bears: Scene where Vic Morrow’s son stands up to his dad on the pitching mound and his abusive Dad ends up hitting him while he takes him out of the game. this reminds me of so many things including Southern California in the 70s, youth baseball and the time my Dad tossed me into a rose bush!
  • Defending Your Life: Final scene where Albert Brooks has failed his test in Judgment City but then rallies and shows the requisite courage to get Meryl Streep back and “move on.” This is my “pull at the heart” nominee, but it was close over every scene from the last 20 minutes of Field of Dreams and many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment