Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Invention of Lying: Gervais Is Now Dead to Me

Molly and I saw the movie The Invention of Lying last night and I felt compelled this morning to offer my thoughts (and warning) to anyone who might consider throwing down $12.50 to see this outrage. NC-17 disclaimer: I am going to be a bit crass here so I apoligve in advance.

For the past decade, I have used a litmus test to weed out those who have bad taste in comedy. It really is quite simple: if you think South Park is funny, you are either 17 or you suffer from a terrible sense of humor. There is just no middle ground. Well, I have a new litmus test: if you were a witness to The Invention of Lying and have anything good to say about it, then I don't think I can respect your opinion on anything related to film or television. It really is that simple because this movie was really that bad.

In a nutshell, this was a one-joke pony that fell apart seconds into the film and suffered under the weight of that one joke for the next 95 minutes. Here was the premise ...Ricky Gervais lives in a world where no one can tell a lie. So everything that comes out of one's mouth is the god's honest truth. Well, you can guess what ensues. Lots and lots and lots and lots of brutal honesty. And you know what ....when brutal honesty is blatantly telegraphed, it isn't funny in the least. And after 120 or 130 times? It becomes excrutiating.

I think what bugged me most about this film is that I suspect this was a case of Ricky Gervais sitting around one night and thinking ...."you know what would make for a funny movie? Let's do a 'what if' story where nobody has ever told a lie ......" He and his lads were probably crying while thinking of all the possibilities. Unfortunately, creating the premise was probably the last funny thing that happened on this project because certainly nothing funny or clever made it into the script. And what is shocking is that after Gervais and company puked out this script, somebody in charge of the project actually authorized its making. I just don't get it.

Final point for now ....this film was such an abortion that I have to throw it into my Asante Samuel Bin, a category named for the New England Patriot who did great things for my Pats but then ended up droping an easy interception that would have secured a Super Bowl and a perfect season for the Pats. By dropping that pass, Samuel lost every ounce of goodwill he had ever earned with me. Ricky Gervais ....meet Asante Samuel. You are back to zero in my book. Yep, 50 points for the BBC Office. Another 30 points for bringing The Office to NBC. Maybe another 50 points for HBO's Extras. But a 130 point deduction for Invention brings you right back to zero. That is how I am scoring this one ......Molly?

Molly: What's the saying in comedy?  A joke should bend but not break?  The joke broke.  The joke broke in the first twenty minutes.  The remainder of the movie left me 1) looking for holes in the premise (like, how does ANYONE function in the world created for this movie: if all anyone says is the most horrible brutal truth than how do any businesses function?  How do relationships work?  How do families manage to procreate?  And, why does being unable to lie render the main characters into moderately retarded people?  Were all the characters in the background having equally dumbed down conversations?) and 2) admiring Jennifer Garner's body.  She's so pretty!

I gave up on most sketch comedy long ago, because a funny premise is not always enough for a funny sketch.  It's often not enough for even a legitimate joke.  In this case, it certainly was not enough for an entire movie.  It smacked of insider-cliquey-smugness (Hey!  Let's have cameos!  And sight gags!) and was so thinly strung together that I am convinced it was made, shelved and then released on account of some unforseen Hollywood currency that those involved must have recently accrued.

It should have been a sketch.  Maybe.

And the worst part was I didn't even get to finish my piece of pizza before we rushed into the theater.  You owe me a crust, Ricky Gervais.

Don: Broke after twenty minutes? What movie were you watching? This thing snapped halfway into the opening scene where Gervais and Garner were on there first date. I was frustrated by the time the check came and that was at the six minute mark.  That being said, I admit to having similar conversations in my head. But the one thing I was considering: how do we go from a premise where people can't lie to a premis where everyone has Tourette's and has to blurt out every unvarnished thoughht that they may be having?

Molly: Yep, that's the same breaking point; I guess it just felt like twenty minutes.  And your last comment is exactly where the "premise" of the movie whiffed it for me.  "Not lying" turned into Rainman turned into some sort of film school project which never should have made it past the laptop it was written on.

No comments:

Post a Comment